Monday, July 21, 2008

Handing Down the Chores...


When I was a kid I would watch my Dad mow the yard at our farm and think it would be so cool to ride on the tractor and mow the yard. My father told me that, if I mowed the entire yard with the push mower, he would teach me how to drive the ride-on. After a few days of mowing, I finished almost all of the yard (mind you, I was about five, if memory serves, and the yard was 3 acres or so). But my Dad decided that was enough and started to teach me how to use the tractor so that I could actually mow faster than the grass grew.

I thought I was so cool out there, mowing the grass like Dad. And then we moved into town... so much for the riding mower that spoiled me so much. It was all push mower and then I hated to mow the yard from that point forward. To this day, I hate yard work. I would rather have a few goats and move them around to mow the yard off, but unfortunately I live in town and don't have that option.

Recently, I've been borrowing a mower from a good friend for the fact that our electric bill is more important than buying a mower right now. So the other day I convinced my son that he wanted to go get the mower with me and tag along with me for the day. We had some different conversations about things he would like to do and stuff that 7 year olds think about, like the latest video games... ya know, the important stuff.

We made it home with the mower, and Damon wanted to help mow the yard. I went through and mowed the rough spots and decided what the heck... it's time for him to learn this evil chore. He mowed the whole back yard by himself and was very proud!

The funny part is that, even though I was more than happy not to have to mow the yard... even more than that, I was also a proud father. My son is growing up and learning to do grown-up things, so I must be doing something right!

But my final thoughts were about my dad and the day he saw me growing up, mowing the yard. What was he thinking about? Then I wondered: have I made my dad proud at this point in my life?

6 comments:

Maria said...

I want goats too.

Carrie Hewitt said...

Nick,
I am positive your Dad is proud of the father that you are.....I don't know you too well yet, but I can tell you are a good Dad. You get down and play with your kids and you spend time with them. They love that! I thought the lawn mowing story was very touching.....Go Damon!

Anonymous said...

Of course your Daddy is proud of you! And, if you're not sure about that, you should just tell him you've been thinking about it.

Are you sure it was at age five when he let you mow on that riding mower? Lordy, if I had known that ....

ErinRagan said...

lol. Chris, you crack me up!

I think your dad is very proud of you, in his own way (although, it'll probably be a cold day in you-know-where before he lets on!).

And, I'm in total agreement with Carrie (and I DO know you pretty well, lol). I couldn't have asked for a better daddy for my babies!! XOXO.

Grampy said...

Where are the safety glasses, hardhat and hard-toed boots? And is that vehicle equipped with a seatbelt? ... And oh yeah -- he's proud.

Duckman said...

Glad all of you responded. It is good to know that somebody thinks I'm doin good.

Mom, I'm a guy, I'll never ask him that. And yep I was 5, the summer before a started school.

C'mon Grampy it is a lawn mower not a race car. LOL!