Sunday, August 24, 2008

Dad Sheds a Tear...

That is right, I had a tear rolling down my face yesterday. Now I better tell the story...right!

Yesterday we (the family) went out to get school stuff for the kids (Damon and Avery). While we were there, I figured it was time to let the kids have a treat since I've been working so much. Avery and I were walking through the mall and I see the Piercing Pagoda. I have always wanted her to be able to get her ears pierced (I think it is very cute.) But Erin has always said not til Avery gets older. Anyway I asked Avery if she would like to get her ears pierced and she excitedly responded YES. After a discussion with Erin, Avery convinced her Mom that she was ready and wanted them pierced. We went through the paperwork and Avery picked out her first set of earrings (little pink ones to be exact.)

I was as excited as Avery up to this point; then Avery ran around the counter and hopped up in this chair, for the piercing. Suddenly, mean 'ole Dad was not so sure this was a good idea (but as a man I held all that back.) Avery was ready and smiling right until the triggers were pulled and that is about the time I lost it too. Seeing my baby girl hurt was awful and to think that I am the one who brought this idea up made it even worse. Erin scooped Avery up as soon as she was done (Avery was a trooper not one tear until she was in Mommy's arms.) I had to get myself together quickly, so I wiped away a tear as Erin handed Avery to me. We showed Avery her ears in the mirror and she was back to smiling and happy just like that.


Today, a day later Avery loves her new fashionable ears, and I will say that they are adorable. I'm just glad it is over and she doesn't hate me for it today.

Avery you are a trooper and I'm glad you like your newest fashion! I love you Monkey Sue!

4 comments:

ErinRagan said...

Avery WAS a trooper! We were both so proud of her.

I was going to post this on my blog last night, but figured Daddy would want to, since the ear-piercing was his brainchild (and something he's been wanting to do forever)!

Hopefully I'll be able to get some better pics of Ave's new ears soon!

Carrie Hewitt said...

How adorable! I can imagine it was a hard thing to watch...kind of like when they get shots, but atleast there was a happy ending! Great post!

jeaniesworld said...

THAT WAS SO SWEET, I MUST SAY - THEY DO LOOK ADORABLE!

Grampy said...

Ouch! . . . I'm sure they look very nice. . . Be sure to use alcohol (rubbing -- not drinking) to ward off infection! Safety first!