Saturday, August 2, 2008

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles...

Throughout my life vehicles have been a big influence to me (I have a passion for cars, trucks, boats, and even motorcycles and atv's (some of them anyway)! This is a part of my life that I'm sure my parents have to this day wished that I never would have encountered.

Instead of going through and telling you every vehicle that I've driven or even owned; I'm going to tell a few stories that stick out in my head about some of them.

Let me start out by saying that the show "Dukes of Hazard", has always been my favorite. Even though I know that the things done in vehicles on TV are not real (most of them are all stunts and rigged vehicles), there has always been the question in my mind...I wonder if I could do that?

On my first attemp of something wild and crazy, I found out very quickly how much I loved an adrenaline rush. It was the backing up slamming on the brakes while turning and sliding the front end around and getting into a forward gear and going, without ever coming to a stop. On the first attemp of this, it was a success . I felt invincable and truely thought that I was born to do this stuff. (If my parents had ever known what thoughts went through my head before I even went to get in the car I'm sure the keys would never made into my hand in the first place, so naturally I never told them about any of these things). By the way this was done in my first car, a 1984 4-cyl., front wheel drive, 2-door, Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra-Holiday Edition. This was our family car until I turned 16. This car went on to survive many different airborne successes. I even took it 4-wheelin' once. The last of this car was not a stunt or even an attemp. I couldn't get the thing stopped at a stop sign one day and...CRASH right into a 1972 Chevrolet Nova (not a good story so I'll spare that one for now, I was on my way to my cousin's wedding). This picture is a 1986, but you get the idea.


Speed! I love it! The rush is awesome, not far from where we lived there was this straight away about a mile long and if entered correctly a speed of about 150 was possible in a verrietty of factory vehicles (this was one of the first tests I had to give every vehicle that I got in my hands).

My thought was that, the faster the car would go in that spot...the better the car was. If a vehicle had been altered or modified the occasional 160 or so was possible (that was by far the best)!

There were also many trucks, and all of them had tastes of the mud at "Wetstone" (good and bad experiences, I'll save a bad one for another day). This place has so many memories in my head that I could never type them all. But I was browsing around earlier and technolgy has come so far that I found some footage of this wonderful place on "the world wide web". Now the parts that are not shown is the calm evenings and the campouts (the music, and lots of stuff that I should not have been doing back then). If memory serves me correctly Brad Paisley was even in there one year, way before he made it in the music industry!

There were many things that I did to get an adreniline rush. Even now I look for things that won't get me in any trouble. So for you parents that have a teen driving think back to this post before you hand them the keys. I know what is coming from my children when they get older and believe me, they are gonna have it rough, thanks to "Evil Dad's" past.

7 comments:

ErinRagan said...

Note from Beautiful Wife:

You can probably tell that I'm no longer editing Nick's posts. I didn't mind doing it, but honestly, his posts were starting to sound like I had written them.

So, now you'll get "raw" Duckman posts... spelling errors and run-on sentences and all. Isn't he cute?? lol

Oh, and yeah, Damon's never getting his driver's license.

Duckman said...

Just so everyone knows I asked her to continue editing this. So hopefully she come back and start editing again so that all of this makes sense.

Chris said...

*gasp*

*cough*

*palpitate, palpitate*

Carrie Hewitt said...

The whole time I watched that video, I just kept wondering who was going to wash that truck and where they were going to do it....Thank goodness it wouldnt be in my driveway! Am I a total pessimist or what? I mean...I didnt even think about how much fun they were having ....just the mess it was making. Maybe I should just plan on going there one year and letting loose! HA!

Duckman said...

Come on Mom that one wasn't even a bad one.

Carrie, pressure washers do amazing things. There is a creek that you drive through to get in and out, it actually cleans alot of the mud off so the wash job after all the playing really isn't that bad. Oh and letting loose is not a bad thing sometimes it is something people need.

Carrie Hewitt said...

WHERE ARE YOU NICK?

Duckman said...

I'm still around folks. I'll be posting something tommorow.